Thursday 9 January 2014

Working in the garden

In my garden, after a rainfall, you can faintly, yes, hear the breaking of new blooms.
- Truman Capote 
 
My wooden garden barrow filled with Azaleas and two Terracotta pots ready to be planted.

Does gardening also crazily inspire you? I turn into a totally different person when faced with some seedlings, my trowel, garden spade and fork and some terracotta pots! Gone is the rational woman who knows there is going to be back-ache tonight, gone is all thought of the 'perfect' nails I've been trying to cultivate and gone is (almost) all thought of sunburn, although I do mostly remember to put on the sun-screen, wear long sleeves and plonk a hat on my head. Mostly the gloves come off because I love the feel of the soil between my fingers and who can use the hosepipe with gloves on?!


Heaps of pebbles, rocks, paving stones, logs, driftwood and tree stumps have me watering at the mouth with ideas! Broken pots and other discarded items suddenly take on a beauty of their own and sometimes even household furniture will also find their way into the garden. Just to be dragged back a couple of days later as I see the weather starting to take its toll!



And NOTHING is more satisfying than seeing the results of your handiwork a couple of weeks later...








"The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies."
- Gertrude Jekyll, garden designer.

:: 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...