Tuesday 1 January 2019

Plectranthus verticillatus

Plectranthus makes an ideal hanging basket subject
(Taken in my Tarlton, Gauteng, South Africa garden)

Common names: gossip spurflower, money plant, swedish ivy, skindersalie (Afr). Also called the money plant, legend has it that, if your Plectranthus should die, your money would dry up!

Plectranthus verticillatis - Image from Sanbi
Plectranthus verticillatus is a perennial semi-succulent ground cover native to woodland and forest margins in southeast Africa. It has long been a popular garden subject in many parts of the world, both for its attractive foliage as well as for its delicate white to pale mauve flowers.

The popular "Swedish Ivy" pot and basket hanging plectranthus is not P. verticillatus, as it is sometimes referred to overseas, but P. oertendahlii from the forested coastal river gorges of KwaZulu-Natal. The latter is characterized by variegated leaves with silvery markings.

Propagating a piece of Plectranthus given to me by a friend

This easy grower is not threatened in its natural habitat and is abundant in its native habitat in frost-free areas along forest margins, in woodland, kloof forest and scrub forest from Knysna through KwaZulu-Natal to Limpopo. It however does not tolerate frost, which is how I lost my plant in the hanging basket above. As the frost killed it, technically I do not regard is that my money will dry up! (Smile!)

Plectranthus verticillatus
.
My Plectranthus sharing a hanging basket with some Ivy (Hadera helix)

Mai (my pet Mynah) on my Plectranthus (money plant)

::

We are on the eve of a New Year - may your garden be filled with beauty and lovely surprises in 2019!
 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...