Wednesday 25 March 2020

This is my new garden 🌵


Hi ya all! Long time no see! I am not deceased (although it felt like it for a while. Well, 2 years...) and I haven't left the country. We've settled into our new home here in KwaZulu Natal after emigrating from Gauteng) and above is the garden I inherited - a fairly healthy-looking Scadoxus and some Sedge grass. I just love Sedge! Hope it seeds and spreads all over! And lots and lots of river pebbles. And paving stones. Lots of them... Will see where this leads...

There are no trees in my little patch, I will fix that soon, but for now it is totally a hot, sun garden. So, obviously, succulents are the answer, and lots of them!


Graptoveria fantome was some of the first succulents I planted, had been mothering them in pots for the last 2 years. Mother-in-law's Tongue (sansevieria trifasciata) is always welcome in my garden, I will try to get an en masse planting going, but will then have to remove a few of the paving slabs I also inherited.
 

And, of course, lots of Spekboom (Portulacaria Afra). This was a small cutting that I had mothered for the last few months and one can grow them in virtually any scenario - outside, of course, in the house, in the ground, in pots, and even propagate them in water in a bottle, as below.


Of course you know that Spekboom (evergreen and indigenous to South Africa) is an environmental miracle worker, with the potential to tackle carbon emissions like no other plant can. Hectare for hectare, Spekboom thicket is as effective as the Amazon rain forest at removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere – quite a feat for a plant endemic to semi-arid areas. One hectare of Spekboom can sequester between 4 and 10 tonnes of carbon per year. This makes it a powerful tool in the fight against climate change and the move towards a zero-carbon world. 
 
And Spekboom trees can grow as tall as 5 meters. Spekboom is edible, with a slightly lemony taste, Spekboom leaves are juicy and full of moisture, making them the perfect ‘pick-me-up’ during a long day’s hiking. It is also a favoured food of black rhinos, elephants and koedoes.

 

A little bit of rain does wonders!


My resident gecko keeping a watchful eye on the plants. No infestation of insects here!

I'm still not used to the humidity and heat of the coast, so my gardening is relegated to early-morning or late-afternoon or during the cooler winter days now looming. Watering the garden is always a joy and I hope to acquire a hosepipe one of these days, as soon as I can get the Municipality to install a water meter at the garden tap. Not an easy feat. But we're holding thumbs!

See ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...